Wednesday, December 17, 2008

The Taj

From Lindenwood University, Missouri back to my home in Taree took no less then 30hrs of being in cars, at airports and aboard planes. Goes without saying that it was a relief to finally get home. I was lucky enough to fly back on an Airbus A380 and for those that don't know this is the biggest commercial aircraft in the world. Planes have always amazed me and this was no exception, this thing was huge and should definitely not be able to get off the ground. Being only 2 months old it was very nice inside and more comfortable then a 747. I can now understand why the price of carbon bikes have risen though as Airbus has used it all in this plane (every seat is made of carbon fiber.)

My House


It has been good to get home and catch up with most of my family who I haven't seen in 4 months and look forward to having a few drinks with some mates over the festive season. After being told by mum that I could not go to the family Christmas if I did not get a hair cut, I have just returned from the hairdresser and I'm sure you will all be disappointed to learn that the mullet has been taken away! It's been a very sad day.
The full extent of the mullet


When you get back after being away for a few months you realise that you have missed some things but not at all others. Of course I have missed my family and friends but there has also been the weather (currently 32 Celsius/90 Fahrenheit,) Triple J, home cooked meals, and the beach. On the other hand I have been reminded how bad our roads are, how inconsiderate the drivers are towards cyclist and how un-enjoyable Australian rap is!

As most of you would know I have not raced a bike in 3months as all road racing stops in the US in about October. I knew I would get a wake up call when I had my first race in Port Macquarie on Tuesday evening. 6 minutes into the race it was all over for me, pretty much what I expected though. The next day I raced at the old stomping ground at Kolodong in Taree. I must have flushed the cobwebs out of my legs on Tuesday though as i was able to come out with a win. Thanks must go to my roommate Owen though for a great lead out. Over the weekend I will return to Newcastle to hopefully have a few more races in order to get ready for the Bay Criterium Series in Melbourne in January.

I will keep you updated on what I have been up to while back home. And for all the yanks reading I'm not jealous at all of the freezing rain and snow while I'm back here.

No comments:

 
Custom Search